The Highlands' 2 acre formal garden was first created in the 1840's by George Sheaff. By the 1920's Caroline Sinkler was using the Sheaff architectural features to create a dramatic setting.
New boxwood were planted in Fall 2005 and new trees. Each Fall, another portion of the garden restoration is implemented and the garden takes on another feature similar to that of Miss Sinklers's Garden in the 1930's. The garden is spectacular May through October with many different flowers blooming. Come and take a look!
Today, The Highlands is recreating the spirit of the Sinkler garden based on letters, photographs and the survey that Caroline Sinkler commissioned in 1917. This restoration is a multi-phase, multi-year project. The grounds are open from dawn to dusk year round. Questions about the gardens and plantings, contact